BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC of an image of a PC

2009-11-25 17:57:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC of an image of a PC
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:55:12 -0500
Boniforti Flavio wrote at about 17:06:22 +0100 on Wednesday, November 25, 2009:
 > Hello list,
 >
 > I'm back again with a new question...
 >
 > I'd like to create an image of my Windows PC (let's assume with Acronis
 > TrueImage, or any similar software) and store it on my external USB
 > drive. This scheduled operation would be done *every day* and would
 > overwrite the same image file. Now, assuming the above statements, am I
 > right if using BackupPC every night on that PC (grabbing the image from
 > the USB drive), I would:
 >
 > A) only transfer the modified bytes/parts of that huge (many Gbytes)
 > image file?
 > B) get as a result, a daily backup without any big file transfers?

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what BackupPC does
and what it is used fo.

BackupPC is for *file* level backups. It could technically do what you
want but then you would just be backing up a single file every
night. Since on a running PC it is certain that at least one byte will
change day-to-day somewhere on the disk, that means that you will have
no effective pooling (which is the major advantage of BackupPC) and
you will be storing complete (compressed) images of each and every
backup. You may get some bandwidth savings in the transfer if you use
rsync/rsyncd but that will have nothing to do with BackupPC. Why would
you go through all the overhead of BackupPC just to rsync a single
file every day?

Just use cron + rsync. If you are looking for file level diffs then
you need something altogether different...