BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Teamed network ports MDI and MDIX

2009-11-14 10:32:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Teamed network ports MDI and MDIX
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:30:37 -0600
> I'm discovering that I may have another culprit in my challenge to get my
> big Windows server backed up here. Last weekend, I upgraded our network
> switches. We went from Dell 100 Mbps to Dell 1 Gbps.

> In my BackupPC server and in my Windows 2003 server, I have two teamed 1
> Gbps network ports. Basically, this means that two network ports act as
> one network port.

Perhaps more importantly, teaming doesn't actually work all that well in
2003 server.  Note that Microsoft themselves will tell you to turn it off
if you experience problems on the network.  Supposedly this has been fixed
in Windows 2008.

Also note:  the teaming drivers are a function of the NIC manufacturer,
not Microsoft, so quality can vary considerably.  In my experience, when
it ever works at all, it causes more problems than it solves.

> I just opened up my switch configuration and noticed something about the
> port configuration on my new switches. All my ports are set to
> auto-configure the MDI/MDIX settings. In each team, one network port is
> set
> to MDI. The other is set to MDIX. No other ports on my switches are set to
> MDI. Could this be my problem? Do I need to configure my network ports
> manually to go to MDIX in the network teams?

While teaming -could- be the problem, the fact that one port is
mysteriously operating as a crossover port is more likely to indicate
you've used a crossover cable to connect the second port than anything
else.  It could be that this is the strange way your NIC drivers have
chosen to implement this half-baked form of network fault tolerance.

Whether it's affecting your ability to back up your sub-terabyte server is
doubtful, though, unless you're experiencing general network failures.
It's much more likely you're running into common problems associated with
using smb.