BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Transferring backups to another backuppc installation

2009-11-13 10:55:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Transferring backups to another backuppc installation
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:52:23 -0600
Peter Peltonen wrote:

>> It is not just rsync - any file oriented technique will have the same
>> problem.
>> The only way to match up the linked files is to build a table of filenames
>> and
>> inode numbers as they are copied and look up the matching inode to find the
>> right name for the link.  The process doesn't scale well.
>
> Does that mean it will get slower and slower to rsync the data when
> the amount of hard links increases?
>
> So, what are the limits?

It just gets slower as the table size grows - and much, much slower if you fill
ram and it goes into swap.  The current version of rsync is better in that it
no
longer keeps a copy of the entire target tree in memory as well.

> Currently I am rsyncing a TopDir which size is 27G. How do I find out
> how many hard links the directory tree contains?

The size of the content is not so much an issue as the number of hard links. A
'find -type f -links +1 | wc -l' should show the number of linked filenames but
that won't help much when you don't know how many you can handle.

> All _seems_ to go well (will I receive some errors in rsyncing if
> something goes wrong, or will it just stall)?

It will just not complete in the time you need it to.