BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Initiate backup from client?

2009-11-12 07:58:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Initiate backup from client?
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:29:21 +0100
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 12:04:07PM +0000, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:

> > How is that easier than just sending the single line:
> > BackupPC_serverMsg backup HOSTIP HOST 0/1
> >
> > You will need to have ssh connection or vpn anyway if you are
> > remote.
>
> It's not easier, but it is more secure.  Assuming you have a reachable IP
> link
> from server to client (IE, no NAT), using HTTP auth as the user is far safer
> than leaving SSH keys on the client that can SSH into the server.

Well, there is one very safe way to use ssh-keys into the server: Limit
the command to execute via authorized_keys. That way, _only_ the command
you gave within the authorized_keys file will be executed by sshd, no
matter what you try.

For example, we use the following for establishing a one-port ssh-tunnel
with keepalive:
command="while read ; do echo $REPLY ;
done",no-agent-forwarding,no-X11-forwarding,no-pty,permitopen="127.0.0.1:1234"
ssh-dss AAAAB3...

On the server side we have running
  while read -t 70 ; do echo -n . ; done | ssh -R1234:localhost:abc $targethost

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.tisc.de