BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Help uploading scripts to BackupPC media wiki

2009-11-09 13:17:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Help uploading scripts to BackupPC media wiki
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 13:14:27 -0500
Michael Stowe wrote at about 11:21:39 -0600 on Monday, November 9, 2009:
 > > Not sure if I am missing something obvious here, but the BackupPC
 > > Mediawiki page seems to only allow the upload of *media* files with
 > > extensions like .jpegg, .png, etc.
 > >
 > > Even 'faking' the extension doesn't seem to work for me.
 > > Note Craig has given me editing access so that is not the problem
 > > unless there are different levels of access that would deny certain
 > > types of uploads.
 >
 > It's not a permissions issue; by default, MediaWiki a) only accepts
 > certain extensions, and b) rejects certain mime types.  So, short of
 > reconfiguring MediaWiki, you'll have to link to somewhere else that the
 > files are hosted.  (MediaWiki wasn't designed to host files, per se, but
 > it was designed so that files could be linked to.)

OK... but shouldn't we be using a wiki service that allows posting of
more general files since we are dealing here with support or
extensions to BackupPC that typically is written in perl or bash (or
in my case also a one-liner cmd script)?

I guess we could link to someplace else but that has two problems:
1. There is no "natural" place to host such files and I don't even
know where I would put them.

2. It makes it hard to back-up the wiki, ensure consistency, do
version control, etc. if important scripts are stored in (random) 3rd
party links.

I don't know anything about Wikis but I would have thought that such
functionality would be available for open source projects which often
by their nature have multiple code contributors and extensions that
are not part of the core tree.