BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backing up BackupPC server

2009-11-04 01:26:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backing up BackupPC server
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 00:23:04 -0600
Ivan Arteaga wrote:
> Mirco Piccin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I want to schedule a backup for the BackupPC system and config
>> files. Is this possible?
>>
>> default installation of BackupPC provides also localhost backup.
>> "Localhost backup" means of course BackupPC system and config files.
>> Or, if it is not avalilable, you can add it.
>>
>> Usually BackupPC system files are stored here:
>> /usr/share/backuppc
>> , and config files are stored here:
>> /etc/backuppc
>>
>>> how can I configure the path to the files to backup if the server
>> and client would be in the same machine
>>
>> All backup files are stored in the $Conf{TopDir} variable defined in
>> /etc/backuppc/config.pl <http://config.pl> file (and also in web gui -
>> server configuration section).
>>
>> You will find localhost backup in $Conf{TopDir}/pc/localhost/X (where
>> X is the backup number).
>>
>> Hope this helps you
>> Regards

>> Come build with us! The BlackBerry(R) Developer Conference in SF, CA
>> is the only developer event you need to attend this year. Jumpstart your
>> developing skills, take BlackBerry mobile applications to market and stay
>> ahead of the curve. Join us from November 9 - 12, 2009. Register now!
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/devconference
>>
> Hello,
>
> I did configure the backup for one share I have in the server using
> samba as /Xfer method/ but I am getting this message when the backup starts:
>
> 2009-11-04 00:31:21 Got fatal error during xfer (tree connect failed:
> NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
> 2009-11-04 00:31:26 Backup aborted (tree connect failed:
> NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
>
> This is the config file for the localhost in /etc/BackupPC/pc/ccnt1.pl
> (ccnt1 is the server name where backuppc is running) I have no Xfer nor
> smbShare configuration in the main /etc/BackupPC/config.pl
>
> [root@server]# more /etc/BackupPC/pc/ccnt1.pl
> $Conf{SmbShareName} = [
>   '/cose'
> ];
> $Conf{SmbSharePasswd} = 'xxxxxxx';
> $Conf{SmbShareUserName} = 'administrator';
> [root@server]#
>
> This is the output from the XferLog.bad.z file:
>
> Running: /usr/bin/smbclient \\\\ccnt1\\/cose -U administrator -E -N -d 1 -c
> tarmode\ full -Tc -
> full backup started for share /cose
> Xfer PIDs are now 21057,21056
> Domain=[DOMAIN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28-0.el4.9]
> This backup will fail because: tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
> Domain=[DOMAIN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28-0.el4.9]
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
> tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 0 filesExist, 0 sizeExist, 0 sizeExistComp, 0
> filesTotal, 0 sizeTotal
> Got fatal error during xfer (tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
> Backup aborted (tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)

> [...]

Why even consider samba with a linux target? It should work if you've
configured
samba to share something with that name (but the share is probably called cose,
not /cose) and a user named administrator, but rsync over ssh is the normal
approach.

For the local host you can use tar without ssh for efficiency but you have to
change some of the commands.