BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] backing up BackupPC server

2009-11-03 07:05:49
Subject: [BackupPC-users] backing up BackupPC server
From: hga <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 07:01:15 -0500

iarteaga wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am testing BackupPC in a CentOS box and it is working great ... but now I
> want to backup the BackupPC server itself. I am using an external drive as
> backup storage and I want to schedule a backup for the BackupPC system and
> config files. Is this possible? if so, how can I configure the path to the
> files to backup if the server and client would be in the same machine....

Yes, and here's a localhost.pc that's supplied by the current stable release of
Debian that uses tar to back up your /etc as the backuppc user.  For my
BackupPC server I extended it to call a shell script to run tar as root using
sudo and to call pre and post commands to set up my filesystems as LVM
snapshots.

#
# Local server backup of /etc as user backuppc
#
$Conf&#123;XferMethod&#125; = 'tar';

$Conf&#123;TarShareName&#125; = &#91;'/etc'&#93;;

$Conf&#123;TarClientCmd&#125; = '/usr/bin/env LC_ALL=C $tarPath -c -v -f - -C
$shareName'
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; . ' --totals';

# remove extra shell escapes &#40;$fileList+ etc.&#41; that are
# needed for remote backups but may break local ones
$Conf&#123;TarFullArgs&#125; = '$fileList';
$Conf&#123;TarIncrArgs&#125; = '--newer=$incrDate $fileList';

Works quite well, and since I use variations of rsync to do alternate backups
of my server I felt it best to use tar, the extra bytes transmitted don't
matter much when they're all on one host.

- Harold