BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] request for comment

2009-10-20 13:25:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] request for comment
From: Ryan Jewell <rjewell999 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:20:47 -0700
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 04:51:08PM -0700, Ryan Jewell wrote:

>> I am trying to figure out a set of scripts to get a reliable offsite
>> backup of a client's backuppc (300GB pool). I've read a lot of the older
>> posts and I'm aware of some of the issues.
>>
>> At the moment we have a backuppc install running at an office. We have a
>> second backuppc offsite. This works pretty well but there are a lot of
>> problems backing up the various clients because they aren't always
>> online late at night. So this is a wild attempt to get a fast rsync

>Are you aware of the BlackoutPeriods, BlackoutBadPingLimit, and
>BlackoutGoodCnt
>settings?  They are designed to ensure that machines get backed up, even
>if they are not left on overnight.
>
>-Rob

Yeah, I went back and re-read that to be sure I have a handle on that.

I talked to my partner (that is dealing with this directly) about the various
options. It turns out data is getting pulled from the offsite machine during
the day to increase the chances of connecting.

It sounds like name resolution is are the biggest problem with the offsite
backuppc server (openvpn). We will try using the clients ip address to
overcome this. We will try to rename the backuppc host dir to the appropriate
ip address so it doesn't start from scratch. So for the moment we will try
to improve this using the prescribed techniques.

That said, it still seems like it would be great to figure out a simple way
to efficiently make an offsite backup of the backuppc server. It seems like
the algorithm I suggested might work even if it's not ideal.

Thank you for the input!
Ryan