BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] request for comment

2009-10-19 19:53:41
Subject: [BackupPC-users] request for comment
From: Ryan Jewell <rjewell999 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:51:08 -0700
I am trying to figure out a set of scripts to get a reliable offsite
backup of a client's backuppc (300GB pool). I've read a lot of the older
posts and I'm aware of some of the issues.

At the moment we have a backuppc install running at an office. We have a
second backuppc offsite. This works pretty well but there are a lot of
problems backing up the various clients because they aren't always
online late at night. So this is a wild attempt to get a fast rsync
backup of each client offsite into a second backuppc program (so you
have all of the great benefits of checking on progress etc). I am trying
to avoid tars archives that take a long time to transfer. Tape backups
haven't worked. I've read large rsyncs don't work with a lot of files.

Please give feedback if there is a better way to accomplish this, if I'm
overlooking anything etc. Thanks.

I am thinking the offsite backuppc will run a script before the backup
of a client.

1. It would take the latest backup for the client and expand it into a
temp dir. This would serve as a snapshot of what the client machine
looked like last week.
2. It will look at the backuppc's dirs at the onsite install and
determine the latest backup in that pc's dir. It might use the second to
the last backup to avoid issues if a backup is in progress.
3. It will rsync that dir with the files in the temp dir to create an
updated snapshot of the machine.
4. The backup for the client would run on that temp dir. Once the backup
is complete the temp dir would be cleared to make space for another client.

Thanks for any comments/help.

Ryan