BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Need help on scheduling, full backups and excluding directories

2009-10-09 14:19:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Need help on scheduling, full backups and excluding directories
From: Anand Gupta <anandiwp AT gmail DOT com>
To: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 23:45:44 +0530
Hi Holger,

-------- Original Message  --------
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: anandiwp AT gmail DOT com
Cc: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed Oct  7 04:45:49 2009
Hi,

Anand Gupta wrote on 2009-10-07 01:49:41 +0530 [[BackupPC-users] Need help on scheduling, full backups and excluding directories]:

[...]
2. I have excluded the following directories in backup

$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
  '*' => [
    'WUTemp',
    'UsrClass.dat',
    'NTUSER.DAT',
    'parent.lock',
    'Thumbs.db',
    'ntuser.dat.LOG',
    'IconCache.db',
    'pagefile.sys',
    'hiberfil.sys',
    'UsrClass.dat.LOG',
    '/WINDOWS',
    '/Program Files',
    '/Progra~1',
    '/Config.Msi',
    '/$AVG*',
    '/cygwin*',
    'autoexec.ch',
    'config.ch',
    '/*/Cache',
    '/RECYCLER',
    '/RECYCLER/',
    '/*/Temporary?Internet?Files',
    '/System?Volume?Information',
    '/System Volume Information/',
    '/Documents and Settings/*/Application Data/Microsoft/Search/Data',
    '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Application
Data/Google/Chrome/User Data/Default/Cache',
    '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Application
Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/*.default/Cache',
    '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temp',
    '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files',
    '/System Volume Information',
    '/Temp',
    '/MSOCache/'
  ]

However even though the above excludes have been put in the config file,
i see these directories/ files being backed up.

what XferMethod are you using? If it's smb, I believe having read that you
need '\' as path separator if you want globbing to work, eg.

	'/RECYCLER/',   # should be ok, no wildcards
	'\RECYCLER\',   # the same as above
	'/*/Cache',     # won't work, but ...
	'\*\Cache',     # should work

As I can't test that (I don't backup Windoze systems), I'd be interested in
someone confirming that (maybe you if it works ;-).

My apologies for not mentioning the transfer method. I am using rsyncd (cygwin). Basically the single share /cygwin, under which all partitions on windows appear, is being backed up. Any ideas what i am doing wrong here causing backuppc to still backup those directories ?

How do i remove them from the pool ?

Since you're only keeping backups for a week, I'd suggest not worrying about
it (if space permits). Your list is quite long, so it seems quite a chore to
get rid of all those and still have backups you trust. If you really want to
do it, Jeffrey wrote a script which you can find somewhere in the archives.
If you want a *simple approximation* that is "good enough" though not 100%
correct, try something like

	find pc/ -mindepth 4 -maxdepth 4 \( -name fpagefile.sys -o -name fhiberfil.sys \) -exec rm {} \;

(assuming those are always in the root of a share). On the other hand, these
excludes didn't include a wildcard, so I would expect them to have been
respected (were they?).

If you're going to remove many small files that way (which I wouldn't do),
you'd want to think of either replacing the -exec with a -print0 and pipe the
output to 'xargs -0 rm' or replacing the 'find' with 'find2perl' and piping
the output into 'perl'.

Also remember that no space will be actually freed until BackupPC_nightly
runs (and don't run it by hand, use 'BackupPC_serverMesg BackupPC_nightly run'
if you really want to force an unscheduled run).

I wanted to remove them, but on second thoughts let them be there for now. Just want to figure out why they were backed up in the first place (as i have those excludes from day 1)

Appreciate the reply and help.

--
Thanks and Regards,

Anand Gupta