BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Extremely slow backups

2009-10-06 16:44:43
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Extremely slow backups
From: James Kyle <jameskyle AT ucla DOT edu>
To: questions and support General list for user discussion <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 13:42:07 -0700
I'm seeing extremely slow backup speeds. Far slower than anything I'd
expect given our network layout.

We have gigabit connections and my network testing shows that we
average around 105+ Megabytes / second between the two machines. So
network throughput is definitely not the limiting factor.

Server/Client: 10.5.8 osx leopard
Rsync: 3.0.6
BackupPC: 3.2.0beta

I'm *only* backing up the /Users directory currently after noticing
exceptionally long backups for this client. The /Users directory is
only 386MB total.

So far, the backup has been running for 5 hours with cpu load rarely
bumping over 40%.

It seems to be hanging on a subversion repository. The repository is
only about 240MB in size, a du -sh on fsomerepo in the pc/client/f
%2Users/fusername/fsomerepo directory has gone on for quite some time
with no result.

There are no errors in the logs, here's the tail end of the XferLOG.z:

>   create d 755    501/20         170 jameskyle/Projects/mports/svn/
> dports/python/py-utidylib
>   create d 755    501/20         306 jameskyle/Projects/mports/svn/
> dports/python/py-utidylib/.svn
>   pool     444    501/20         234 jameskyle/Projects/mports/svn/
> dports/python/py-utidylib/.svn/all-wcprops
>   pool     444    501/20         436 jameskyle/Projects/mports/svn/
> dports/python/py-utidylib/.svn/entries
>   pool     444    501/20           2 jameskyle/Projects/mports/svn/
> dports/python/py-utidylib/.svn/format
>   create d 755    501/20         102 jameskyle/Projects/mports/svn/
> dports/python/py-utidylib/.svn/prop-base
>   pool     444    501/20          59 jameskyle/Projects/mports/svn/
> dports/python/py-utidylib/.svn/prop-base/Portfile.svn-base
>   create d 755    501/20          68 jameskyle/Projects/mports/svn/
> dports/python/py-utidylib/.svn/props
>   create d 755    501/20         102 jameskyle/Projects/mports/svn/
> dports/python/py-utidylib/.svn/text-base
>   pool     444    501/20        107%

it's been at that point for a good while, but it *does* seem to slowly
progress.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help,

-james