BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Problem with BackupPC and share SMB

2009-08-25 08:55:30
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Problem with BackupPC and share SMB
From: "Alessio Oss" <alessio AT openit DOT it>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 14:26:00 +0200 (CEST)
Situation:

Host:
 - Pc with Win XP Professional SP2/3 or Windows 2000 Server or Debian 5.0
with samba 3.2.5

Server:
 - Pc with Debian 5.0 and BackupPC 3.0 or BackupPC 3.1

Share structure:

   DATA

   |----DIRECTORY1
   |     |-FileA
   |     |-FileB
   |     |-FileC

   |----DIRECTORY2
         |-FileD
         |-FileE
         |-FileF

Set BackupPC to connect to the share DATA throug SMB, leaving other
settings as default.
Change only the parameters XferMethod, SmbShareName, SmbShareUserName,
SmbSharePasswd.

Other parameters:

SmbClientFullCmd
$smbClientPath \\$host\$shareName $I_option -U $userName -E -d 1 -c
tarmode\ full -Tc$X_option - $fileList

SmbClientIncrCmd
$smbClientPath \\$host\$shareName $I_option -U $userName -E -d 1 -c
tarmode\ full -TcN$X_option $timeStampFile - $fileList

The full and incremental backups are performed without any problem.

Now I move, with cut and paste, the DIRECTORY2 into DIRECTORY1.
The new structure is:

   DATA

   |----DIRECTORY1

         |----DIRECTORY2
         |      |-FileD
         |      |-FileE
         |      |-FileF
         |-FileA
         |-FileB
         |-FileC

If, after making this change, I would make an incremental backup, host I
was faced with this situation CORRUPT:

BackupPC 3.0.0

   DATA

   |----DIRECTORY1

         |----DIRECTORY2
         |     |-<empty>
         |-FileA
         |-FileB
         |-FileC

BackupPC 3.1.0

   DATA

   |----DIRECTORY1
   |     |
   |     |----DIRECTORY2
   |     |     |-<empty>
   |     |-FileA
   |     |-FileB
   |     |-FileC

   |----DIRECTORY2
         |-<Error: Can't browse bad directory name /DIRECTORY2>

I would expect this situation:

   DATA

   |----DIRECTORY1

         |----DIRECTORY2
         |      |-FileD
         |      |-FileE
         |      |-FileF
         |-FileA
         |-FileB
         |-FileC

Situation is OK, both with version 3.0.0 and 3.1.0, when I do a full backup.

With both versions, starting from the situation CORRUPT, if I edit or
create a file within DIRECTORY2
the following incremental backup saves me only the new or modified file.

Why?     Other people have the same problem?

tnX