BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using a recover CD to restore a backup made with BackupPC - BackupPC as disaster recovery

2009-08-21 15:36:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using a recover CD to restore a backup made with BackupPC - BackupPC as disaster recovery
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 14:32:43 -0500
Pedro M. S. Oliveira wrote:
> Hi've written a little how to on my blog about:
> Using a recover CD to restore a backup made with BackupPC - BackupPC as
> disaster recovery
> http://www.linux-geex.com/?p=163
> I'm thinking in making a boot cd to restore all the backuppc data to a new
> machine, does any1 has suggestions about this?

It's usually fairly simple to do by hand for linux machines if you know
the original partitioning and filesystem layout and how to reinstall
grub to make the disk bootable.

Another approach that is especially handy for windows clients is to
periodically make clonezilla images of their boot drives that you can
restore to get to a point where you can reload the more current data
from backuppc.