BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC File::RsyncP issues

2009-08-19 14:26:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC File::RsyncP issues
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:23:00 -0500
Tino Schwarze wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 10:58:19AM -0500, Jim Leonard wrote:
>> Tino Schwarze wrote:
>>> I'd rule out the network. Samba might be doing fancy things to the TCP
>>> level etc. Or you might try establishing an ssh tunnel to the Windows
>>> host (or from Windows host to BackupPC server using putty which might be
>>> easier), then point rsyncd to the local end of the tunnel.
>> I've already ruled out the network; I'm able to prove that rsyncd on the
>> windows side is simply not very fast :-(  In fact, I'm almost willing to
>> bet money that, if everyone checks their Full backup times, none of the
>> rsync ones will be over 10MB/s.  Why is rsyncd performance so bad in
>> Windows?
>
> Alright, I can verify that. I just tried with a fresh install of Cygwin
> and rsyncd. Copying an 8GB file via rsyncd yields about 14 MB/s. Using
> plain smbclient, I get "average 40119.7 kb/s" which is about the maximum
> write speed of the RAID.
>
> Maybe there is some tuning possible with the socket options
> configuration parameter. I couldn't find any recommendations though.

Most of the people using backuppc are probably linux oriented so bad
performance on windows is just expected, and compensated for by running
more instances concurrently if the server is waiting.  But, I'd try
adding something like:
to the rsyncd/deltacopy.conf file (and restart) to see if it helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329781