BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature Requests and such?

2009-08-17 21:15:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature Requests and such?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 03:12:11 +0200
Hi,

Adam Goryachev wrote on 2009-08-18 10:42:42 +1000 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature
Requests and such?]:
> [...]
> > The point is that rsync needs to see the full BackupPC pool during one run.
> > You can't split it up into seperate syncs of pool/, cpool/, pc/host1/,
> > pc/host2/ and so on.
>
> What about syncing pool, cpool and pc/host1 in the first run, then
> pool, cpool and pc/host2 in the second run, and so on.

it might work, but you don't gain anything, as rsync would need to keep a list
of all inodes in memory (because they're all in pool/ or cpool/). You could,
in theory, rsync {c,}pool/ without -H, because there are guaranteed to be no
two links to one file in there. The pc/ directories, on the other hand,
contain only a hopefully small subset of the inodes because they obviously
don't contain all versions of all files (else you don't need your history ;-).
That would be the theoretical savings from splitting the run. But, again, it
doesn't work.

> > "Should work" as in "I haven't heard definite success stories including
> > verification of the copy, and I have some doubts".
> I guess it depends on the activity of the source. If it isn't
> changing, then rsync (if it succeeds) should get an exact replica.

I'm not talking about activity of the source - the source needs to be idle for
any chance of getting it right.

Yes, it *should* work, but it's a corner case. rsync doesn't provide a solution
for handling an extremely large number of files with more than one link, so
it's at least possible that *updating* many files with many links, of which
one may have been renamed, is not handled correctly [in every conceivable case]
either. I'm just saying, someone should test it.

Regards,
Holger