BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature Requests and such?

2009-08-16 12:05:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Feature Requests and such?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:02:08 -0500
Clint Alexander wrote:

> 1) I want to see *when* a backup is going to run. I've been making
> changes to the overall schedule of the system, but it seems like all the
> backups run in the last hour of the non-blackout times.

That would be fairly hard to predict if you have more than a few machines
because it will be your concurrency limit that keeps backups from starting -
and
you'd need to know how long the previous backups will take to know when the
next
can start.

> I have 4
> particular servers (SQL Cluster Nodes) that need to be backed up within
> the same hour. I setup the blackout of these particular servers FROM 4am
> TO 3am in hopes to get them done between 3-4am. But only one of them was
> fired within that hour, the rest 2 hours later. So -- we should be able
> to see what our current settings will do and when it will do it. I'm
> sure there is a configuration that would work for this that I can't
> figure out -- but it doesn't make the feature any less important :)

You can see from the host summary page how long it has been since the last run,
so if you are on an approximately daily schedule you can tell when the next
will
be considered and run if not blocked by the concurrency limit or the blackout
schedule.  If you need more precise scheduling, you can use a cron job using
BackupPC_serverMesg to start specific machines - but you'll also need to make
sure that there are not too many other jobs running at the time.