BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] rsync clients run out of memory

2009-08-13 17:19:16
Subject: [BackupPC-users] rsync clients run out of memory
From: Richard Hansen <rhansen AT bbn DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:52:01 -0400
I'm using BackupPC 3.1.0 and I'm having problems with rsync clients
running out of memory and crashing (the Linux kernel's OOM-Killer is
unleashed, wreaking all sorts of havoc).  Apparently this is a known
problem if a lot of files are being synced and one or both ends of the
rsync transfer is older than rsync 3.0 (see
<http://www.samba.org/rsync/FAQ.html#5>).

The client machines have rsync 3.0, but it looks like BackupPC uses an
older version.  I just switched to tar, so we'll see if that makes the
problem go away.

I'd prefer to use rsync.  Is there any chance BackupPC could use a newer
version of File::RsyncP that supports rsync protocol version 30?

Thanks,
Richard