BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Why is my rsync so much slower to do an incremental backup than tar over ssh?

2009-07-15 11:38:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Why is my rsync so much slower to do an incremental backup than tar over ssh?
From: gimili <gimili17 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:33:12 -0400
Holger Parplies wrote:
> While that is true, incremental backups should not be taking 5 hours (compared
> to a 7 hour full backup). Something is going wrong, I just couldn't guess
> what, and I'm not even sure what additional information to ask for, aside from
> the usual: relevant config files settings (everything related to rsync or tar,
> including BackupFilesOnly/BackupFilesExclude), details on your setup that you
> missed (network, type of file system on both sides, number of files in backup
> set ...). One other thought: what does your server status page say on the
> matter of hash chains and their length?

A BIG thanks to everyone for all the info!  Because the difference was
so massive between tar and rsync I figure I must have done something
wrong.  The question is what is wrong

Where do I find the hash chains and their length?

Both drives are ext3.  Lan is running at 1000
643,036 files
Comp Level 3

 From Incremental Log:

Running: /usr/bin/ssh -c blowfish-cbc -q -x -l root myclient /usr/bin/rsync
--server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner
--group -D --links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive
--checksum-seed=32761 . /

Negotiated protocol version 28
Checksum caching enabled (checksumSeed = 32761)
Sent include: /etc
Sent include: /home
Sent exclude: /*
Sent exclude: */Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files
Sent exclude: */Local Settings/Temp
Sent exclude: */NTUSER.DAT
Sent exclude: */ntuser.dat.LOG
Sent exclude: */Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Windows/UsrClass.dat
Sent exclude: */Local Settings/Application
Data/Microsoft/Windows/UsrClass.dat.LOG
Sent exclude: */Local Settings/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/*/Cache
Sent exclude: */Local Settings/Application
Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/*/OfflineCache
Sent exclude: */.Junk
Sent exclude: /Junk
Sent exclude: /temp
Sent exclude: *.junk
Sent exclude: *.Junk
Sent exclude: *.trash
Sent exclude: *.Trash
Sent exclude: *.gz
Sent exclude: *.lock
Sent exclude: Thumbs.db
Sent exclude: IconCache.db
Sent exclude: Cache
Sent exclude: cache
Sent exclude: /WINDOWS
Sent exclude: */trash_yc
Sent exclude: */RECYCLER
Sent exclude: /MSOCache
Sent exclude: /System Volume Information
Sent exclude: /AUTOEXEC.BAT
Sent exclude: /BOOTSECT.BAK
Sent exclude: /CONFIG.SYS
Sent exclude: /hiberfil.sys
Sent exclude: /pagefile.sys

> Your relevant XferLOG file might give some clues. Unchanged files should not
> be mentioned for incremental backups and listed as "same" for full (rsync!)
> backups. Directories are always listed. Sizes of XferLOG files should clearly
> indicate which backups were full and which were incremental (meaning your
> XferLogLevel should be at 1 ;-). Can you find anything obvious in there? (*)
>
> Regards,
> Holger

I will look at the logs more closely.

Thanks!