BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Why is my rsync so much slower to do an incremental backup than tar over ssh?

2009-07-15 08:37:12
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Why is my rsync so much slower to do an incremental backup than tar over ssh?
From: gimili <gimili17 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:13:52 -0400
I am new at backuppc.  I am backing up 250GB from one machine to another with backuppc.  Both machines use debian lenny as the os.  2.4ghz machines with 4GB ram in client and 2GB in backuppc machine.  Both drives are sata.

Initially I used rsync and it took 7 hours for a full backup and 5 hours for an incremental.  I did every tweak I could find on to improve speed.

I switched to tar and it still took 7 hours for a full backup but it only took 10minutes for an incremental.  I modified a few files to make sure that it was working.  The modified files were indeed backed up.

Why is my rsync so much slower to do an incremental backup than tar?

Have I made an error?

It is hard to believe that tar can be so fast with the incremental backup with that much data?

Are there any serious problems with using tar?

Any advice appreciated!  Thanks!
--
gimili