BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Ubuntu Stability

2009-04-30 19:47:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Ubuntu Stability
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Christopher Derr <cmderr AT ucdavis DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 01:42:14 +0200
Hi,

Christopher Derr wrote on 2009-04-30 09:51:05 -0700 [[BackupPC-users] Ubuntu
Stability]:
> [...]
> the system [...] crashes often.
> [...]
> Thoughts about Ubuntu or my upgrade in general?

I agree with the other opinions that it is a hardware problem. I would like to
add the power supply as a likely cause for what you are experiencing. There
was a thread here a while ago with some tips on how to test your PSU (apart
from simply replacing it).

I don't really see why this would only be triggered by one machine, though,
unless that machine had a particularly large backup, was unusually fast or
something like that. Or perhaps this machine's files are simply unluckily
distributed among the pool, leading to even more head seeks than usual ...

> I'm considering moving to Debian and the latest version of Backuppc (3.1...I
> realize 3.2 is still in beta).

I don't see how BackupPC 3.1 vs 3.0 could make any difference. The kernel:
maybe, the distribution: unlikely, BackupPC: not really. And even that would
probably be "working around hardware problems" rather than solving them.

> Not sure if the 3.1 upgrade is going to talk with the 3.0 backup files
> though.

There should be no problems in that respect.

Regards,
Holger