BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Ubuntu Stability

2009-04-30 13:26:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Ubuntu Stability
From: Johan Ehnberg <johan AT ehnberg DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:21:08 +0300
Hi!

Freeze sounds like kernel problem = not BackupPC, it only triggers it
because it uses resources intensively.

In my experience this has been the cause (in similar cases to yours ) of
either faulty hardware, faulty config or crappy drivers:

Faulty hardware can be detected by stress-testing the drive (dd,
urandom, shred and others) and RAM (memtest86) with random reads and
writes in a hot environment.

A common faulty config on raid is that there's been a problem in
allocating the space which results in bad access (if your system is on
the same partition as your pool it is a good explanation for your
symptoms) and the drive becomes at least read only.

Finally some drivers for IDE/SATA chips are poor (often because the
vendor has not released any specs) causing errors in some situations.
This can often be remedied by switching SATA from "IDE Mode" to "AHCI"
or similar in your BIOS.

In general, dmesg is your friend - try following the last seconds before
the system freezes locally and remotely as when you want to log in it is
too late :).

Good luck!

/johan