BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] A scheduling question

2009-04-20 11:50:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] A scheduling question
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 10:42:57 -0500
Schley Andrew Kutz wrote:
> Please pardon my ignorance. I have always been dense when it comes to
> backups, and I am hoping that someone can simply tell me the
> appropriate schedule for what I want to do. I basically want to mimic
> Apple's Time Machine settings. I want an initial full backup and then
> simply a backup of changed files every X amount of time (their
> interval is hourly, mine would be daily). I don't want old backups
> deleted until the drive begins to run out of space. Time Machine keeps
> hourly backups for 24 hours and then rolls them into a 24 hour backup.
> It keeps 7 24 hour back-ups (a weeks worth), and then rolls them into
> weekly backups. Is this possible with BackupPC?

Backuppc won't adapt to the available space automatically other than not
starting runs if you have less that 5% of the disk free.  However, since
it only needs additional space for new/changed files, once you have an
idea of the average change rate you can set the number of full backups
to keep accordingly.

> Right now it has the default settings. Also, as I understand things, a
> BackupPC full backup is only the files that have changed since the
> last full backup. My question is then why do incremental backups, why
> not just always do full backups. Is it because of the method to
> determine if a file has changed? Timestamp vs. block checksum in Rsync
> for example?

Yes, with rsync there is the difference in time for the checksum
comparison for fulls - and on the server side, fulls also rebuild the
directory link trees to be used for the next run.