BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Why not starting in command-line, but still in CGI interface?

2009-04-15 11:05:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Why not starting in command-line, but still in CGI interface?
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:59:23 -0500
Boniforti Flavio wrote:
>> Right there it is. edit config.pl and change
>> $Conf{BackupsDisable} = '1'; to $Conf{BackupsDisable} = '0';
>
> But I'd like to have backups manually-driven, for now. That's why I put
> it to '1', ain't that right?

You would really save yourself a lot of trouble if you just let backuppc
work the way the defaults were set and wait until you understand them
before you think you know better than it does...  It really isn't so
badly designed that you have to reinvent everything.

Even if you normally want to control when a backup starts you can set
the blackout intervals to when you don't want them to run, and set the
full and incremental periods to somewhat longer than the interval you
will do the manual runs.   It won't start an automatic run until the
full or incremental intervals have expired since the last, even if that
was manually started.   That way you have control, but if you forget
they will run anyway.  And you really should be using
BackupPC_serverMesg to tell the server to run the backup like the cgi
interface does if you want to schedule it yourself.