BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Not backing up more that first module/directory (rsyncd)

2009-04-13 18:50:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Not backing up more that first module/directory (rsyncd)
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 08:46:14 +1000

Holger Parplies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Adam Goryachev wrote on 2009-04-13 13:15:40 +1000 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Not
> backing up more that first?module/directory (rsyncd)]:
>> Holger Parplies wrote:
>>> Boniforti Flavio wrote on 2009-04-12 10:20:12 +0200 [[BackupPC-users] Not
>>> backing up more that first module/directory (rsyncd)]:
>> [...]
>>> I agree that it is the ssh tunnel closing when the last (= only) tunnelled
>>> connection closes.
>> [...]
>>
>> I have (successfully) been using a script to do this for the past few
>> months. I copied this from somewhere else (the wiki perhaps) and have
>> tuned locally since then...
>>
>> I created a script in /etc/backuppc/scripts/hostname.sh
>> #!/bin/bash
>> TERM=vt100
>> /usr/bin/screen -d -m -S hosttunnel /usr/bin/ssh -o
>> ServerAliveInterval=15 -o ServerAliveCountMax=10 -q -x -C -L
>> 1516:127.0.0.1:873 -l root host
>> /bin/sleep 20
>
> I fail to see how running the 'ssh host sleep 20' inside screen would help.
> It only seems to prevent an error from ssh from being noticed by BackupPC.
> Are you really referring to a *multiple share* backup?

Neither do I, but yes, it is a multi-share backup. "edrive" is done
first, which is 100G or so of images and then "cdrive" is done...

>> [...]
>> $Conf{DumpPreUserCmd}='/etc/backuppc/scripts/host.sh';
>
> Wasn't that 'hostname.sh'? ;-)

well, neither was the literal text host.sh or hostname.sh. I use a
different scrpt for each host, but didn't want to show my actual
hostname being referred to, so I made it generic....

>> $Conf{DumpPostUserCmd}='/usr/bin/pkill -u backuppc -f host';
>
> Hmm, how about 'screen -S hosttunnel -X quit'?

I'm not sure, I know very little about screen, I really just copied the
scripts from somewhere else. Perhaps screen can't quit if the ssh
command is still running ?
Perhaps the fact that this still works for me might also be why I seem
to get hanging bash/ssh processes on the remote side.

I might give your suggestion a try, but I'm not sure it will help...

Regards,
Adam