BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Guide to set up Apache on OS X (to use mod_perl)

2009-04-11 03:29:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Guide to set up Apache on OS X (to use mod_perl)
From: Thomas von Eyben <thomasvoneyben AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 09:25:14 +0200
On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 2:01 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> Thomas von Eyben wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> Does anyone have a nice guide describing how to set up a Mac OS X's
>> Apache  (Server or Client) to host BackupPC?
>>
>> I am now facing the problem:
>>
>> "Error: Wrong user: my userid is 70, instead of 502(backuppc)" when
>> communicating with the CGI.
>>
>> As I understand it I need (for performance) a seperate instance of
>> Apache running as user "backuppc" in order to be able to use the
>> "mod_perl" method (that also gives me the highest performance), as
>> opposed to (much slower) setuid method…
>>
>> I have searched the archives and google, but not found adequate help.
>
> First note that the performance difference only affect using the web
> browser to view/restore backups, something you probably don't do that
> often, not the performance of the backups operations which happen
> separately.

Ah - good point.
I'll go down the no-mod_perl route first.
My perl installation is from FINK (to not mess up the Apple provided
perl!) but apparently the FINK'ed version does not support "setuid
emulation". This is the next problem i need to solve (will now start
some searching)

BR TvE