BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Baking up Windows Vista

2009-04-01 16:57:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Baking up Windows Vista
From: Mauro Condarelli <mc5686 AT mclink DOT it>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 22:51:09 +0200
Cody Dunne wrote:
> Hi Mauro,
>
> Mauro Condarelli wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I managed to have my backups working for my Linux machines.
>> Now I need to add a Win Vista machine as client.
>> I browsed the wiki, but I didn't find anything specific and the
>> guidelines for XP seem very old.
>> What is the "approved" method to backup a current (Vista Home SP1) machine?
>> I have one share plus the User settings to backup.
>>
>> Any pointers welcome.
>>

> Rsyncd seems to work best, with a preconfigured ssh tunnel if you want
> encryption. All my experience with Vista & BackupPC is documented here:
> http://www.cs.umd.edu/~cdunne/projs/backuppc_guide.html
>
> Cody

Thanks a lot.

I tried to follow Your How-To, but I did goof somehow very early.

the command:

$ net start sshd

gives an error (I translate from Italian locale, so the wording could be
different):

System error 1069.
Service was not started due to an error while accessing.

... and, unsurprisingly, ssh backuppc@localhost fails with:

ssh: connect to localhost port 22: Connection refused

What did I do wrong?

TiA
Mauro