BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Specifying DHCP client addresses

2008-12-23 05:50:38
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Specifying DHCP client addresses
From: Juergen Harms <Juergen.Harms AT unige DOT ch>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:48:30 +0100
I am trying to plan my first backupPC installation and have a question
on how to set up the backupc/host file (Mandriva 9.0, intending to use
rsync).

The "How BackupPC Finds Hosts" section in the documentation is very
clear: for DHCP hosts I should set the DHCP flag to 1 and then will get
NETBIOS name resolution (rmblookup). That means, that I need to install
a samba server on each DHCP client - which is an overkill and an
undesired complication, I do not need samba if I use rsync.

2 questions:

1. If the /etc/hosts files on the server and clients contain the correct
IP addresses, can I than simply set the DHCP flag to 0 and fake using
static addresses, even if a host has obtained its address via DHCP?

2. If yes, has anybody experience in using nmap for verifying/correcting
the /etc/hosts entries for use by backupPC? At present I use nmap (run
as root) to get a list of valid name<->IP address mappings for manually
  adjusting addresses if a DHCP laptop needs to assume certain server
functions. It looks promising to digest this into an automatically run
procedure.

Thanks!