BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Changes between two versions

2008-12-23 04:52:00
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Changes between two versions
From: Tim Connors <tconnors AT astro.swin.edu DOT au>
To: BackupPC Users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 20:33:59 +1100 (EST)
Hi,

There is a way of finding annotated history of one directory:

http://<backuppchost>/backuppc/index.cgi?action=dirHistory&host=<host>&share=/&dir=/

But I was wondering whether it was currently possible, or whether it was
easy to add support to show the changes of an entire hierarchy (starting
from some nominated path) between two nominated backups (not just the last
and the second last backups) and/or the current filesystem (eg, the last
backup and the current filesystem.  Would naturally be a very slow list to
produce, as it would have to log in and inspect the current filesystem.
I'd willingly give up this aspect, and just require you to perform another
backup to compare against, as long as I could ensure that it wasn't about
to clear out the backup I was just going to compare it against).

I was thinking of a list of all files that have changed, with a link to
each file that shows the unified diff between them (if an ascii file).

It'd be easy to produce a list in the first place, if you knew you were
looking at 2 full backups -- just do a `find -printf '%i %p' | sort -g`
and look for inode/filename that don't match between the
two trees (this wouldn't find metadata changes, which would presumably
require parsing the attrib file.  It would also get confused by pools that
had their hardlinks broken).

--
TimC
It is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt ax.  It is equally vain