BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Error installing BackupPC: - Bareword "compareLOGName" not allowed

2008-10-31 21:40:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Error installing BackupPC: - Bareword "compareLOGName" not allowed
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 02:37:55 +0100
Hi,

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote on 2008-10-31 13:25:20 -0400 [[BackupPC-users] Error
installing BackupPC: - Bareword "compareLOGName" not allowed]:

> When I run config.pl, I get the following error message:
>
>     Error loading BackupPC::Lib: Bareword "compareLOGName" not allowed
>     while "strict subs" in use at lib/BackupPC/Lib.pm line 1466.
> [...]
>
> I was able to fix this by changing the line near the end from:
>       return sort(compareLOGName @files);
> To:
>       return sort(compareLOGName( @files));

err, NO!

That one is a little subtle. If your change were correct, the Perl compiler
would not have complained (sub compareLOGName was declared before this point,
so a function call "compareLOGName @files" should not have parsed as a bareword
but rather as a list operator).

Actually, the original statement is passing both the subname "compareLOGName"
and @files to the sort operator. I don't know why Perl 5.10.0 complains about
that. I would first try leaving out the ()

        return sort compareLOGName @files;

(actually, this gets rid of a warning (!) in 5.8.8, so I would suggest this to
be changed anyway) and, if that doesn't help, something like

        my $comparison = \&compareLOGName;
        return sort($comparison @files);

Regards,
Holger