BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Duplicate files in pool with same CHECKSUM and same CONTENTS

2008-10-30 16:58:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Duplicate files in pool with same CHECKSUM and same CONTENTS
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:56:12 -0400
Craig Barratt wrote at about 11:27:41 -0700 on Thursday, October 30, 2008:
 > Jeffrey writes:
 >
 > > Except that it my case some of the duplicated checksums truly are the
 > > same file (probably due to the link issue I am having)...
 >
 > Yes.  Just as Holger mentions, if the hardlink attempt fails,
 > a new file is created in the pool.  You appear to have some
 > unreliability in your NFS or network setup.
 >
 > The only other time identical files will have different pool
 > entries, as people noted, is when $Conf{HardLinkMax} is hit.
 > Subsequent expiry of backups might cause the identical files
 > to move below $Conf{HardLinkMax}.
 >
 > It's not worth the trouble to try to combine those files since
 > the frequency is so small and the effort to relink them is very
 > high.
 >
 > Craig

OK - Definitely seems to be an NFS problem -- sorry for having
troubled the BackupPC list.

When I do a shell command 'find | wc' on the cpool directory, I usually get
the right number of results but sometimes whole subdirectories are not
found.  This problem seems to come and go. As in sometimes, I get the
right results and sometimes I don't... This makes it even harder to
troubleshoot since I can't reliably reproduce the problem every time.

I am confused though why I'm not seeing any notation of this problem in my
log files (either on the nfs server or client)...

Thanks!!!