BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Duplicate files in pool with same CHECKSUM and same CONTENTS

2008-10-30 14:29:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Duplicate files in pool with same CHECKSUM and same CONTENTS
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 11:27:41 -0700
Jeffrey writes:

> Except that it my case some of the duplicated checksums truly are the
> same file (probably due to the link issue I am having)...

Yes.  Just as Holger mentions, if the hardlink attempt fails,
a new file is created in the pool.  You appear to have some
unreliability in your NFS or network setup.

The only other time identical files will have different pool
entries, as people noted, is when $Conf{HardLinkMax} is hit.
Subsequent expiry of backups might cause the identical files
to move below $Conf{HardLinkMax}.

It's not worth the trouble to try to combine those files since
the frequency is so small and the effort to relink them is very
high.

Craig