BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] What does "BackupPC_link got error -4 when calling MakeFileLink" mean?

2008-10-30 09:50:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] What does "BackupPC_link got error -4 when calling MakeFileLink" mean?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:49:02 -0400
Holger Parplies wrote at about 10:11:33 +0100 on Thursday, October 30, 2008:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote on 2008-10-30 03:41:39 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
 > What does "BackupPC_link got error -4 when calling MakeFileLink" mean?]:
 > > Craig Barratt wrote at about 00:07:51 -0700 on Thursday, October 30, 2008:
 > >  > Jeffrey writes:
 > >  >
 > >  > > So what does "-4" mean and what can cause it?
 > >  >
 > >  > Fails to make a hardlink. [...]
 > >
 > > Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this further?
 >
 > well, in your case "stale NFS file handle" somehow springs to mind ... could
 > it be that?
 >
 > Regards,
 > Holger

I don't believe so for the following reasons:
- The NFS mount has been up the whole time
- In the latest backup, the problem affected 1737/5164 files (based
  on find -type f).
- Specifically, 22 of the new 236 files in the backup were affected,
  however, the files affected were not consecutive -- and I couldn't
  find a common pattern with them
- Conversely, 1715 of the 4840 attrib file were affected. Again
  without any clear pattern (to me).
- My kernel has recorded about a dozen nfs timeouts over the past 12
  hours but they are not aligned with the timestamps on the error
  files. Otherwise there have been no kernel nfs errors.

Also, if the NFS server were down, I would think that I would get
other errors than just a bad link...