BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] UPDATE: Hypothesis: Problems backing up Windows machines under 'rsync' traced to perl-File-RsyncP protocol 28 limitation

2008-10-27 21:41:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] UPDATE: Hypothesis: Problems backing up Windows machines under 'rsync' traced to perl-File-RsyncP protocol 28 limitation
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:35:19 -0400
Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote at about 02:04:40 +0100 on Tuesday, October 28,
2008:
 > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 >
 > > Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote at about 01:07:02 +0100 on Tuesday,
 > > October 28, 2008:
 > >>

 > >> File::RsyncP is a (non-complete) implementation of rsync in Perl
 > >> written for use by BackupPC. The latest version of File::RsyncP
 > >> supports protocol version 28, there is nothing to upgrade there. The
 > >> protocol used is the highest version supported by both the client and
 > >> the server, which is 28 in either case you described. There is no
 > >> version of File::RsyncP which supports protocol >28 at the moment.
 > >>

 > > That's precisely my point. If we want to have the 'rsync' method work
 > > better with Window, then File::RsyncP needs to be updated to version
 > > 30.
 >
 > Are you sure? What makes you think that? I believe that File::RsyncP
 > only implements the parts of rsync that are actually used by BackupPC.
 > It only makes sense to support protocol >28 in File::RsyncP when
 > features in BackupPC will use functionality only available with
 > protocol >28.

I believe my earlier email was pretty explicit about showing how rsync
hangs with protocol 28 but not with protocol 30. I believe that I have
pretty soundly narrowed it down to that difference.

 > >> By the way, we are backing up machines that all run rsync 3.0.4 and
 > >> support protocol 30, but we're using BackupPC with File::RsyncP, so
 > >> the negotiated procotol is protocol 28 for all our backups. And our
 > >> backups are working fine. But we're not backing up any Windows
 > >> machines.
 > >
 > > My point PRECISELY -- Protocol 30 seems to be important to avoid hangs
 > > with long and/or weird file names in Windows. Since those file types
 > > don't exist in Linux, Protocol 28 works just fine there.
 >
 > What do you mean by saying that "long and/or weird file names don't
 > exist in Linux"? Can file names be longer when using Windows than they
 > can when using Linux? Can Windows file names be weirder? (If so, what
 > does that mean exactly?)

This I believe is also well known that Windows creates some very long
file names (>255 characters) that rsync cannot handle.

 > I'm not saying that it's not true that protocol 30 did not add
 > functionality that somehow fixes your problem (because I'm not really
 > up to speed on what the protocol differences are), but I just have
 > this gut feeling that the protocol version is not the problem. Craig
 > might be able to explain all of this better.

I dunno seems pretty clear to me that when I run an analogous rsync
command manually with 3.0.4 from the command line and it hangs just
like Backuppc does when protocol is forced to 28 but it works when
protocol is set to 30.

But I'm not an expert and if someone can prove me wrong or find an
alternate explanation or solution I would be happy to oblige..