BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] What does this error mean?

2008-10-27 20:37:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] What does this error mean?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 20:36:02 -0400
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote at about 17:11:07 -0400 on Monday, October 27, 2008:
 > I got the following while using 'rsyncd' to backup a Windows XP
 > machine:
 >
 > I originally had full backups labeled '0' and '1'.
 > I then started a new *full* backup.
 > For several hundred out of a total of 141,000 files, I got pairs of error
 > messages of form:
 > Can't open /var/lib/BackupPC/pc/winsurgeon/1/fc/fDocuments and
 > Settings/fUser1/fCookies/[email protected][1].txt for MD4 check (err=-2,
 > Documents and
 > Settings/User1/Cookies/[email protected][1].txt)
 >
 > Documents and Settings/User1/Cookies/[email protected][1].txt: md4 doesn't
 > match: will retry in phase 1; file removed
 >
 > Then when I looked in my backup dir, I noticed that backup '1' had
 > somehow disappeared (and I hadn't erased it).
 >
 > Not sure if that is the cause (but if so how did it happen) or effect
 > (if so why) of the above errors where it seemingly couldn't find the
 > backup '1' version for an md4 check.
 >
 > Note that these errors are all confined to two groups of directories:
 > /c/Documents and Settings/User1/Cookies/user1@<xxxxxxxxx>.txt
 >
 > /c/Documents and Settings/User2/Local Settings/Temporary Internet
 > Files/Content.IE5/*/*
 >
 > Also, it's not clear to me why it is even doing an md4 check against
 > the previous full backup since this is itself a full backup. I could
 > see if it checked against the pool (as part of the checksum-seed
 > checking process by why would it check against a previous backup?
 > And, these failures appear to affect a limited group of sequentially
 > listed files rather than randomly spread apart as one would expect with the
 > seed algorithm.
 >
 > Note that the original files themselves *seem* to be fine...
 >
 > Any idea on what might be going wrong here?

and here is another strange tidbit -- a lot of the files mentioned
above should have been excluded, since I have:

Sent exclude: "/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temp/*"
Sent exclude: "/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temporary Internet
Files/*"

And finally, I have almost a thousand errors of form:
Remote[1]: rsync: readlink_stat("Documents and Settings/UserX/Local
Settings/Temporary Internet
Files/Content.IE5/DHFVLMXC/Z5UGCAQ29EFQCALZP3S4CAWVO16YCA8UXS27CAXB37LQCA3LZI46CAQYND1JCAEH9E55CASOYYXVCAF3ARGDCAV1OJZOCAJNR20WCA9SEWMECAZ85I7UCA08C4M3CATTQ9TICA009EOBCA2F8PDQCAWZOPZB.png"
 (in c)) failed: File name too long (91)

Again despite the fact that this whole directory should have been
excluded...

When I ran 'rsync' manually from the command line using something
like the following, it all worked fine and in particular excluded the
files:
sudo -u backuppc /usr/bin/rsync --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group
-D --links --recursive --hard-links --times --block-size=2048
--one-file-system --omit-dir-times  --protocol=28 -nv --exclude
"/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files/*"
--exclude "/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temp/*" clientmachine::c/

I must be tired and missing something obvious. What am I missing?