BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental dumps hanging with 'Can't get rsync digests' & 'Can't call method "isCached"'

2008-10-27 03:48:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental dumps hanging with 'Can't get rsync digests' & 'Can't call method "isCached"'
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 00:46:47 -0700
Jeffrey writes:

> Can't call method "isCached" on an undefined value at
>   /usr/share/BackupPC/lib/BackupPC/Xfer/RsyncFileIO.pm line 165.

That isn't good.  This is the case where it is doing a random check
of the cached checksums (based on $Conf{RsyncCsumCacheVerifyProb}).
I am missing an error check just prior to this line of code.   An
error will occur if there is some problem open/reading the cached
checksum information.  A possible cause might be some file system
corruption.

I'd be curious what the error is.  Just prior to this line
you could add this code:

    if ( $err ) {
        $fio->log("Can't get rsync digests from $attr->{fullPath}"
                . " (err=$err, name=$f->{name})");
        $fio->{stats}{errorCnt}++;
        return -1;
    }

Alternatively, just set $Conf{RsyncCsumCacheVerifyProb} to 0.  This
code will be skipped, and I suspect it will fail further down and
there is an error check there.  Seeing the error number would be
helpful.

I would also try removing the --checksum-seed=32761 option from
$Conf{RsyncArgs} and trying the backup again.  This will disable
the use of cached checksums.

Craig