BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_zipCreate and charset for encoding file names

2008-10-16 21:01:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_zipCreate and charset for encoding file names
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Fernando Laudares Camargos <fernando.laudares AT revolutionlinux DOT com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 17:59:21 -0700
Fernando writes:

> I'm replying to this old thread because I believe that my question/commentary
> fit here better than in any other thread regarding this subject.
>
> I'm using BackupPC to backup among others a samba file server that uses a
> ISO8859-1 charset. To get the characters displayed correctly in the command
> line I have to set BackupPC's ClientCharset to ISO-8859-1. That's fine. But
> when I try to download a file to a Ubuntu/Windows desktop I've got encoding
> problems.
>
> Using the option "-e UTF8" with BackupPC_zipCreate" in the command line
> works. But to get it working from the CGI interface I had to "hard coded" it
> in lib/BackupPC/CGI/Restore.pm :
> $bpc->cmdSystemOrEvalLong(["$BinDir/BackupPC_zipCreate",
>                  "-h", $host,
>                  "-n", $num,
>                  "-c", $In{compressLevel},
>                  "-s", $share,
>                  @pathOpts,
>                  @fileList,      # add the ,
>                  "-e UTF8"       # HERE
>             ],
>             sub { print(@_); },
>
> I'm sure this is not the best way to do it but I haven't had success
> with any other try I did. Does anybody known a better way to do that ?

I added the command-line argument for charset but didn't implement
a CGI setting.  The problem I have is I can't find any documentation
for zip files and any standards around charset encoding for the
file names in a zip file.  Is utf8 the correct default, or does
it depend on which platform is trying to unpack the zip file?

Craig