BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Off-site backup strategies

2008-10-04 17:17:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Off-site backup strategies
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 16:06:57 -0500
Jeff Siddall wrote:
> Rob Owens wrote:
>> Kevin DeGraaf wrote:
>>>    2. Use the remote server to hold a copy of the on-site BackupPC
>>> server's file pool.  The pool would be rsync'ed on-site initially and
>>> then rsync'ed remotely from then on.
>>>
>> Against all advice on this list, I did this yesterday.  I rsync'd my
>> pool to a larger drive in the same machine.  My pool size is 347G and
>> it's been running for the past 15 hours or so.  I've transfered 334G so
>> far.  My server has 3GB of RAM.  It hasn't crashed, like many people
>> thought it might, and it has only used 2MB of swap.
>>
>> -Rob
>
> I never asked for anyone's opinion before trying this myself, but I have
> been [apparently] successfully rsyncing a copy of my BackupPC pool
> remotely over a DSL line for months now.  I have yet to encounter
> issues, other than a few rsync warnings when the pool changes during the
> rsync -- which does take a few hours at DSL's 800 kbps uplink.  The pool
> is about 120 GB, and changes by about 1 GB each day.
>
> I did my initial "remote" disk setup a bit differently.  Instead of
> rsyncing the pool, I populated my "remote" drive by mounting it locally
> on the BackupPC server and doing a cp -a.  No issues with that of
> course.  Then I took the drive out of the BackupPC server and stuck it
> in the remote machine.  From that point on rsync with the -H option has
> been keeping the pools in sync.
>
> Can anyone explain why this is a bad idea?

Rsync tends to have a hard time with a backuppc archive because of the
sheer number of directory/file entries and also the number of hardlinks
which need a brute-force lookup to find the matching entries.  Are you
using rsync 3.x?  It may be that the recent changes have significantly
improved its ability to handle this scenario.