BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] backup at shutdown

2008-10-04 11:57:20
Subject: [BackupPC-users] backup at shutdown
From: Grzegorz Marszałek <graf0 AT post DOT pl>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 10:57:33 +0200
Hello!

I'm new to backuppc  - and I've got bunch of windows workstations to
backup :) The problem is called "open files". I've digged mailing
lists and found few solution (like patch for 2.6 rsync enabling vss
backup, or dosdrive.exe program with buch of scripts to mount vss
volume as a drive letter), but they are either unsupported (like patch
for rsync), or fragile (like dosdrive+scripts). Another idea is to
start backup at windows shutdown. All problematic programs (like
outlook) should be disabled by now, and few services that still could
make problems I can disable before starting backup. Starting backup
from pc is also not a big problem - ssh + keys with limited command to
run will do the trick.

Does that sounds like good idea to you? Maybe somebody tried someting
like this and could share some experiences? Frankly I couldn't find
anything about "backup on shutdown" approach on mailing list and in
google.

Cheers
---
Grzegorz Marszałek