BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] JFYI: memory upgrade brought major speedup

2008-10-04 11:43:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] JFYI: memory upgrade brought major speedup
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 20:13:28 -0600
not too suprising if using rsync.  rsync will use about 100Bytes per file for the file list, and then about that much again during the transfer of files and checksum.  I would guess that you are over 1GB of ram just for that.

Additionally, having more ram will allow linux to do a lot more caching which frees up I/O for backuppc.

as far as the RAID5 is concerned, do you have specific performance issues?  since this is a Dell im assuming that you are using a PERC controller?  In the case of a PERC controller in a modern poweredge the RAID5 write parity penalty is not too much of a factor as the controller has an offloading engine for parity processing.  Most RAID5 performance issues are cause by a software raid5, fakeraid(software masquerading as hardware) or hardware without a dedicated chip for parity calculations.