BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Stopping server while backup in progress

2008-09-11 09:45:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Stopping server while backup in progress
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:45:14 -0400
Kenneth Porter wrote:

> No, I'm stopping it so that the state of the disk will be consistent
> when
> my system backup's verify pass runs. If I leave BackupPC running, it
> constantly changes the pool and I get a lot of "missing" file reports
> from the verify.
>
> (The better solution would be to use the Linux volume storage
> mechanism to back up a snapshot, but at the time I initially set up
> the server, I wasn't aware of this feature and didn't leave space for
> a snapshot partition.)

Another solution would be to add a disk and mirror the partition.  Then
you could break the mirror, mount it in a temporary location, and backup
from there.  Or put the mirror drive in a removable enclosure so you
can break the mirror and pull the drive out.  Then the hard drive itself
becomes your backup (this is what I do here).

--
Bowie