BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Help backing up Microsoft SQL Server with BackupPC (and WinXPs Shadow Copy Service)

2008-08-19 18:04:46
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Help backing up Microsoft SQL Server with BackupPC (and WinXPs Shadow Copy Service)
From: Kurt Tunkko <kurt.tunko AT web DOT de>
To: BackupPC User List <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 00:04:29 +0200
Hello,

on one of our Clients there is an instance of Microsoft SQL Server running.

When backing up the machine, the error log shows:

Remote[1]: rsync: send_files failed to open: <FILENAME>  (in root):
Device or resource busy (16)

with <FILENAME>s:

"c/Programme/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Data/master.mdf"
"c/Programme/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Data/mastlog.ldf"
"c/Programme/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Data/model.mdf"
"c/Programme/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Data/modellog.ldf"
"c/Programme/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Data/msdbdata.mdf"
"c/Programme/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Data/msdblog.ldf"
"c/Programme/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Data/tempdb.mdf"
"c/Programme/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL.1/MSSQL/Data/templog.ldf"

While knowing little about database, I know that I need to shutdown SQL
Server during the backup but then the machine would be not functional
during this time.

Questions:
1) Can I use Windows XP Shadow-Copy feature or do a dump of the
Microsoft SQL Database to a file and backup this file? Maybe something like:
a) stop sql server
b) make a snapshot/shadow copy
c) start sql server
d) backup client

2) another question regarding the shadow copy feature
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy) - can I use this to make a
snapshot of a windows xp professional client and then backup this
snapshot via rsyncd?

kind regards from berlin

- Kurt