BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to backup External Hard Drives

2008-08-19 17:51:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to backup External Hard Drives
From: Kurt Tunkko <kurt.tunko AT web DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 23:48:11 +0200
Hey,

naigy wrote:
> - I have 4 PC's which BackupPC backs up - I have 5 external hard
> drives which occasionally get connected to only one of these 4 PC's.
> - I would like to have these 5 extra drives (some with multiple
> partitions) backed up through BackupPC.

I found a nice solution for another task: backing up data from a
notebook to an external harddrive as soon as this harddrives is attached
to it.

If you're using Windows you can do the following:

- create a special host-file for the external harddrive
- attach harddrive to your pc
- setup a batchfile that can check what drive is connected and if its a
drive that should be backed up it will use ssh to log into your server
and start BackupPC_dump in order to backup its content.

If you're using windows, let me know and I'll write short HowTo for you.

kind regards

- Kurt