BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Just to make sure: How to move/copy /var/lib/backuppc to another place (RAID1)

2008-08-05 11:28:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Just to make sure: How to move/copy /var/lib/backuppc to another place (RAID1)
To: Kurt Tunkko <kurt.tunko AT web DOT de>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 01:28:21 +1000

Kurt Tunkko wrote:
> Hello Holger,
>
> thanks for your detailled answer, even when I got the feeling now, that
> I don't want to copy the pool-data :-/
>
> As far I understood, keeping hardlinks and copy the massive amount of
> files may be a problem.
>
> Other options:
>
> 1) Using dd and copy the old harddrive to the new one. Because the old
> harddrive uses LVM and the new one is a RAID, I don't know if this will work
>
> 2) Using LVM and append the RAID to the LVM-Volume - this sounds like a
> good solution, but I just want to have /var/lib/backuppc on the RAID, no
> other files.

There should be no problem using dd to move a LVM volume to a raid
volume or anything else. Basically, somewhere you have a block device
(the thing you created your filesystem on). Just dd that to your new
block device and you are done.

Or, an easier point, whatever you pass in the <HERE> is your old block
device:
mount <HERE> /var/lib/backuppc

Sure, it is all confusing as hell, until you remember that you simply
want to copy whatever the FS level is looking at, and your destination
device is again some raid/LVM/loopback file/whatever "block device".

If your source "device" is equal or smaller than the destination device,
and it is feasible to copy the entire data from the source to the
destination, then dd is the perfect tool, and this is the ideal solution
to the problem of moving the pool.

The only reasons why you would not use it:
1) You can't physically connect that many HDD's at the same time to the
same machine
2) The source and destination are far away (ie, slow network connection
between them)
3) The destination is too small (should you really be doing this anyway?)
4) You want to use a different filesystem format on the destination
5) The source and destination are actually the same device, you just
want to re-arrange them (eg, migrate from LVM to md or similar).
6) Probably some others, but by now, you should realise that dd is
probably the ideal tool for the job, and you should go ahead and make
use of it.

Personally, I would use my filesystem fsck and force a check afterward
just to make myself sleep a little better at night.

I hope someone works out a way to add the above to the wiki, in a more
meaningful/less wordy way.

Regards,
Adam