BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Just to make sure: How to move/copy /var/lib/backuppc to another place (RAID1)

2008-08-04 17:00:52
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Just to make sure: How to move/copy /var/lib/backuppc to another place (RAID1)
From: Kurt Tunkko <kurt.tunko AT web DOT de>
To: BackupPC User List <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 23:00:35 +0200
Hello,

after getting so much interesting ideas how to backup the
backuppc-server after asking this questions two weeks ago, I'm now close
to take action.
The topic was:
Prepare for the worst, Howto backup the backuppc-server

To summarize:

I want to put /var/lib/backuppc on a RAID1 and add one (two) external
disk to the RAID. Since this raid can be removed from the raid after the
content has been synced I have a full copy of the backuppc-data for
secure offline storage. Another idea I want to try afterwards is to add
a disk using AoE (ATA over Ethernet). Because the AoE-Disk is attached
to a virtual machine running on a client, I don't even need physical
access to the server room, when swapping the drive for offline storage.

Since I've also an dd-diskimage of the server stored on the raid, I
should be able to rebuilt my server (and then all clients) very easy (in
theory).

My RAID1 (/dev/md0) is now mounted at /mnt/md0 and as far as I
understand I need to move /var/lib/backuppc to the RAID.
Then when finished I would remount the RAID to /var/lib/backuppc.

Question
========
While looking for information about how to move the
/var/lib/backuppc-directory I found:

'change archive directory' on the backuppc wiki
http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/change+archive+directory

Option 1 suggest to use:

        cp -pR /var/lib/backuppc /mnt/md0

while Option 3 suggest to move the directory to another place.

In order to be safe when something bad happens while transferring the
data to the RAID, I dont want to use 'move'.

Just to make sure that I don't do something stupid before copying tons
of GB of backup-data I would like have a short feedback regarding the
command in option 1. Will this do the job? Can I just remount my RAID to
/var/lib/backuppc afterwards and be sure that everything is working?

Thanks and kind regards

- Kurt