BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] archive problem

2008-07-31 13:10:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] archive problem
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: Jeff Rippy <jrippy AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:10:51 -0500
Jeff Rippy wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply.  The backuppc user uses /bin/sh not bash.
> sh is a symbolic link to /bin/dash it looks like.  Not sure if this
> helps or not.

The shell doesn't have much to do with this except possibly giving you
the wrong error message.  The real problem is almost certainly that the
backuppc user doesn't have write permission on /dev/st0 (and if you are
ever going to write more than one run to a tape you might want to use
/dev/nst0 instead).

I'm not sure how Ubuntu handles the setup, but udev-based systems
rebuild the device nodes on the fly so if you just change
owner/group/permissions, you have to do it after every reboot.  If it is
group rw you can add the backuppc user to it's group.  Otherwise you'll
have to add a udev rule or something to control it.