BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Why should I use root to connect to host

2008-07-29 10:33:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Why should I use root to connect to host
From: "Nils Breunese (Lemonbit)" <nils AT lemonbit DOT nl>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:32:50 +0200
brunal wrote:

> One question that I dont understand : can I use another user than
> root to connect to my host?
>
> Indeed, the server i want to backup is the main server of my network,
> and pretty well secured. That means, hence, that root cannot have
> access to the server through ssh, only non-root user can.
> Is this a problem? my config is in the hosts file :
>
> 192.168.1.2    0    backuppc        # <--- example static IP host
> entry
>
> and in config.pl :
>
> $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = '$sshPath -v -x -l backuppc $host $rsyncPath -
> v $argList+
>
> And to my host side, a user backuppc exist and have access to all the
> necessary folder and file. Should this configuration work?
>
> Unitl now I still have other problem (see other post), but I would
> like to check if I'm not doing something wrong.

See 'How can client access as root be avoided?' in the documentation:
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/ssh.html#how_can_client_access_as_root_be_avoided

The examples there use 'sudo' in $Conf{RsyncClientCmd}, but I believe
that doesn't work: you need to specify the full path to the sudo
binary (for instance: /usr/bin/sudo, check on your systems).

Nils Breunese.