BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Explanation of archiving process

2008-07-29 10:01:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Explanation of archiving process
From: Martin Leben <ml060223 AT leben DOT nu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:00:04 +0200
Hi Joanne,

I am no expert, but below is my understanding of how the archives work.

Joanne Cook wrote:
> The documentation says that the Archive function uses TarCreate, which merges
> incremental backups automatically. Does that mean that if you create an
> archive of a given incremental backup you are actually creating an archive of
> that increment plus the previous full backup?

Yes. Backuppc will make sure that the created archive contains (at least) all
the files that were present on the client when the incremental was made.

If the backups were made using transfer method rsync or rsyncd the archive
would
not even contain files that were deleted between the last full and the
incremental. (Someone with more experience, please correct me if I am wrong.)

> And to restore from a given
> incremental all I would need is that archive and not the previous full
> backup?

Yes.

> Presumably also if I create nightly archives of the previous incremental
> backup they are going to get increasingly large?

Syntax error in your sentence...! ;-) Did you meant to ask "Will the nightly
archives I create from incrementals get increasingly larger?".  Yes they will,
unless you are using transfer method rsync or rsyncd. (See note above.)

BR
/Martin Leben