BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Change RsyncShareName - will BackupPC reuse existing backup data?

2008-07-23 10:50:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Change RsyncShareName - will BackupPC reuse existing backup data?
From: Michael Stucki <mundaun AT gmx DOT ch>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:49:49 +0200
Hi,

> yes, that is correct. The pooled data is re-used, i.e. no extra space is
> taken up on the BackupPC server, and even re-compression of the data is
> unnecessary (the pooled copy is found and decompressed - provided you are
> using compression, that is). But it needs to be re-transferred first.
> There is no way for BackupPC to know that the 'share' "foo" used to be
> named "bar", even if it's obvious to you, so the old contents cannot be
> used as a reference to speed up the transfer.

Well, so if BackupPC doesn't know it, I should probably follow Adams suggestion
and simply rename the directory? I will try that, but maybe someone already
knows if that's really so simple?

>> It would have been very easy if rsyncd allows module names to be named
>> like paths, e.g. "/". However, as this doesn't work I was forced to
>> change the RsyncShareName...
>
> I'm no rsyncd expert, but I believe I've read of people using rsyncd
> modules named like paths.

It did not work when I tried it, but maybe that was because of an outdated
version, don't know...

> Aside from that, why didn't you use rsync over ssh or sudo instead of
> rsyncd for the initial local backup (of course the paths would still have
> to match, but maybe chroot can help there)? That seems even more
> straightforward than naming the rsyncd module according to
> what the real path is.

Because rsync over SSH compresses the data and rsyncd doesn't. That means it's
less CPU intensive - or am I wrong?

- michael