BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Change RsyncShareName - will BackupPC reuse existing backup data?

2008-07-23 08:35:13
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Change RsyncShareName - will BackupPC reuse existing backup data?
From: Michael Stucki <mundaun AT gmx DOT ch>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 14:27:17 +0200
I'm backing up a rather huge system which I had synced with rsync before.

First I've made a backup of my local copy using rsyncd, which worked pretty
fine. I used the "ClientNameAlias" setting to access my local system instead of
the live server. "RsyncShareName" was pointing to the appropriate rsyncd module
name.

The second time I'm now trying to backup the live system instead of my local
copy. I'm using rsync over SSH, which means I had to change XferMethod and
RsyncShareName. Additionally I've also removed the ClientNameAlias setting.

The backup seems to work will, as the data gets copied. However, since it takes
extremely long, I have the impression that the old backups are not found
anymore, and the full data is transferred again.

I have no proof if the old data is really ignored, just think that it takes way
too long. Can anyone confirm this? Is it a bug?

It would have been very easy if rsyncd allows module names to be named like
paths, e.g. "/". However, as this doesn't work I was forced to change the
RsyncShareName...

- michael