BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] [BackupPC-devel] FUSE / BackupPC

2008-07-22 17:09:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [BackupPC-devel] FUSE / BackupPC
From: "Paul Mantz" <pcmantz AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Stephen Day" <sd AT unixtastic DOT com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:09:20 -0500
Hello Steven,

I do agree that restoration is sort of an arcane process with only a couple good options, and that FUSE is a good way to get around it.  Perhaps working some client authentication in there that talks to the remote BackupPC server would also be a good idea.

If you're looking at the BackupPC source code and really do plan on making a read-only file system, you should look at lib/BackupPC/View.pm, lib/BackupPC/FileZIO.pm, and lib/BackupPC/Attrib.pm to get an idea of how the pool structure is read.  this may also require some work on the server-side to handle authentication, as permissions for BackupPC pool access are handled through the daemon and various modules.  Feel free to email me about any ideas or questions you have.

Adios,